Tracing Food Science details the history of the Food Science Department at the University of Guelph and looks back at the emergence of Food Science as an academic subject in North America. Food Science departments began to appear in response to the demand by government and private industry for food chemists, food engineers, and food microbiologists. By 1930, five American universities were offering courses in Food Science and Technology. In all these cases departments evolved from existing academic units. The Department of Dairying was established at the Ontario Agriculture College in 1885. The name was changed to the Department of Food Science when the new department was created in 1968. It is one of only six IFT accredited departments in Canada and has developed into a major force in teaching and research
Dr. Stanley is Adjunct Professor in the Department of Food Science, having retired as a full Professor in 1995 after a 25 year career. His main research interests were texture/structure relationships in food and the chemistry of postharvest and postmortem changes in food materials. Following his retirement, his interest in investing led to his appointment as a contributing editor for the Canadian MoneySaver magazine. He writes columns about personal investing issues and gives talks on this subject across Canada.